Monday, October 22, 2007


I returned yesterday from my cross country travels. I started out from Lamy, NM one week ago today on the Southwest Chief headed west to Riverside, CA. After a slightly bumpy start (I forgot my regular drivers license but was allowed on the train with an old one and a few tears), the train ride was great. I got some work done, ate dinner with some interesting people, and got some decent sleep. When I arrived in Riverside at 6 a.m. Jessica came and picked me up and took me back to the Malisch's where I fed Emmet his breakfast. I got to campus and took care of some business and got work done. That evening I attended the good old Stitch n Bitch before heading to friend Catherine's to set up camp. Wednesday I met with all of my advisers and stoked the dissertation fires. That night I had dinner with some good knitting friends and got to knit even more! It was awesome. Thursday I had lunch with Caroline and took care of some business, including a trip to Riverside's amazing new H&M, before heading out to my dad's to get some sleep before flying to Milwaukee on Friday. In Milwaukee I went out with our friends Susan and Dave, and then woke up early to spend some time with Grandma Alyce before driving up to Appleton for Step-Aunt Teena's wedding. I drove up in my rented Chevy Cobalt that was Cobalt Blue. The wedding was lots of fun and it was great to see my dad, step-mom, and sisters. Yesterday I left Appleton before the sun rose to make my 9 a.m. flight from Milwaukee to Albuquerque. I was so happy to be home with my husband and my puppy and our new couch, and on top of that it snowed! That's right folks, it snowed. Not that much, just a few flurries, but that was enough to totally amaze Matthew and I. We can't wait until the first time we get to take Scarlett out for a romp in the fresh fallen snow.
Now, we are busy preparing for the arrival of Mom and Tim on Wednesday. Our first visitors here in Santa Fe!
Above: Dad and his girls. Below: Dad and his Jim Beam.

No comments: