Friday, June 19, 2009
I need a present for our friends baby and I need it fast, so it was time to dust off the old knitting needles. I used my new swift and ball winder my husband got me for my birthday to wind the newly purchased knitpicks swish bulky into perfect balls. Then I started building:I love the log cabin concept. It's so fun for baby blankets and it's even better with bulky yarn - instant gratification! I sort of wish I'd of done something different, but with each of these I do I learn something new and I'm pretty sure I'll never get sick of making them. I need to catch the knitting fever again, I've been such a slacker.
Things are going well over at our little garden. We've harvested a ton of spinach and many radishes. The carrot tops are looking lush and the pea plants are growing like weeds. By next week we'll have to cut down the lettuce. Tomato and pepper plants are in and growing. Stay tuned.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Monday, June 8, 2009
Here's what I've been up to:
- Starting a new knitting group - we're calling it "knit lit" because it's a hybrid knitting/book club - we're meeting on Sundays.
- Gardening - we have a CSA plot over at the Urban Ecology Center just a block from our house. We're growing spinach, lettuce, radishes, peas, carrots, cucumbers, and zucchini; we are failing to grow green onions (not enough sun?), beans (perhaps a squirrel or bird ate the seeds?), and beets (damn rabbit or gopher or deer); we are about to plant peppers and tomatoes; later we're going to try growing ochre.
- Going to California to visit friends and family and important dissertation advisor people.
- Going to Colorado for a graduation, to see family and have an awesome time.
- Reading, writing, revising, repeating.
- Wishing I were knitting more.
- Taking Scarlet to the dog park to hang out with Sprocket, Pearl, Mogli, and her myriad of other dog friends and their parents, who are fast becoming our friends.