Monday, June 23, 2008

in the dark

I'm in California. Today was my first day teaching. I started my class promptly at 1 p.m. and I was just about to take attendance when all the power went off. So much for my powerpoint presentation. I struggled through, only to find out that a waterline in an underground steam tunnel full of electrical hooha for half of campus had burst because of an early morning earthquake. The campus shut down, my students couldn't get their books, all was chaos. They say it will all be fixed by 8 a.m. tomorrow. We'll see what happens. I hope this is not some sort of horrible omen.

UPDATE 6.24.08: The power was turned back on, but no air conditioning, so class was postponed.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Wow! I have been getting automated emails from UCR about the various details of the water and power outages all day. Think of it as a California snow day?