Saturday, July 26, 2008

farmer's market (a jasmine inspired post)


Matthew and I woke up early today and headed over to the farmer's market, because I had a hankering for a VBLT (veggie bacon, lettuce, and tomato). To my horror, by the time we had finished our breakfast burritos there were only two tiny heirloom tomatoes left in the whole place. We would have to go to wholefoods for a few more later. But we did manage to get some great stuff. Two fresh picked eggplants, butter lettuce just like my grandma used to grow, very spicy radish sprouts, jalapeƱos, corn, fresh onions, and finally a bunch of beets. A couple of weeks ago I was listening to the splendid table on npr and they were talking about beets and how to prepare them. I was intrigued by the idea of topping roasted beets with brown butter and basalmic vinigar, so I tried it out for dinner tonight. It was amazing.

I also made the eggplant. I cut in 1/8ths and brushed it with olive oil, seasoned lightly and baked at 400 degrees for 50 minutes (while roasting the beets). I topped the roasted eggplant with lemon juice and a sprinkle of Parmesan. The eggplant was so incredibly easy and delicious we're planning to do it again next week.
The beets, while amazing, were a tad bit futzy with the peeling and may only be brought out on special occasions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks delightful!!

Erin said...

We joined a CSA this year and I love having my organic local produce delivered to the Farmer's Market every week. This week we got carrots, fennel, beets, peas, lettuce, radishes, white radishes...yummy. I love summer!!